Director of Engineering
Click to view position locations
SUMMARY: Responsible for performing complex administrative work in the planning, directing and oversight of departmental services and resources. Responsible for strategic planning, setting policy, and providing direction to managers in order to achieve departmental goals and objectives. Work is performed under administrative review.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures, and maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates departmental policies, procedures, strategies, and goals. Maintains, updates, and ensures procedural compliance for programs.
- Provides advice in area of expertise to City Officials, City Council, and management teams.
- Provides advanced administrative support to the City Council, Assistant City Manager, and City Manager in support of organizational goals and objectives.
- Facilitates, leads, and/or participates in meetings and/or proceedings. Represents the department and City at meetings and conferences. Serves as a liaison between departments, external organizations, the general public, and other agencies.
- Serves on a variety of internal and external committees, task forces, and other agency committees to secure advocacy and influence support for programs and ideals.
- Provides complex administrative assistance and support to Executive management and the City Council. Develops complex reports and correspondence.
- Researches, analyzes, and makes recommendations for cost effective improvements in departmental operations. Designs, administers, and evaluates departmental programs and services.
- Responds to requests for information and provides subject-matter-expert guidance to other departments, patrons, the general public, and/or external agencies.
- Evaluates and communicates the impact of potential legal or regulatory changes on the organization.
- Directs and oversees the preparation and administration of departmental budgets, financial reports, and operational and/or capital improvement budgets. Monitors revenues and expenditures. Reviews financial statements and manages financial operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversees the City’s five year capital improvement plan, coordinates regional transportation issues with other government agencies, coordinates strategic land acquisition related to transit-oriented development, provides support to economic development activities, and participates in the coordination of major reconstruction and new construction of facilities.
- Supervisory responsibility over Managers and other departmental staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of management principles;
- Knowledge of public administration and governmental operations;
- Knowledge of basic accounting and financial management principles;
- Knowledge of advanced theories and principles related to area of assignment;
- Knowledge of strategy development principles and procedures;
- Knowledge of program development and administration principles and practices;
- Knowledge of public relations principles;
- Skilled in monitoring and evaluating employees;
- Skilled in prioritizing and assigning work;
- Skilled in providing leadership;
- Skilled in managing projects;
- Skilled in speaking in public;
- Skilled in analyzing and developing policies and procedures;
- Skilled in analyzing complex problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions, and implementing recommendations in support of goals;
- Skilled in mediating and resolving conflict;
- Skilled in preparing and administering budgets;
- Skilled in managing change and sensitive topics;
- Skilled in planning, analyzing, and evaluating programs and services, operational needs, and fiscal constraints;
- Skilled in prioritizing, organizing, and managing multiple simultaneous projects;
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, applying, and explaining laws, codes, ordinances, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports, including oral, written, and audio/visual presentations;
- Skilled in maintaining sensitive and confidential information;
- Skilled in providing customer service;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in General Business Administration or a related field.
- Eight years of progressively responsible experience, including three years at the Division Manager level, or its equivalent.
- Certifications/licensure may be required depending on area of assignment.
- Frequent sitting, talking, seeing, hearing, and manual dexterity.
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Work is typically performed in a standard office environment.
- Depending on area of assignment, may work in an outdoor environment, with potential exposure to adverse weather conditions.
- Depending on area of assignment, may occasionally work near moving mechanical parts.
- Depending on area of assignment, may occasionally be exposed to risk of electrical shock, vibration, fumes, airborne particles, infectious diseases, criminal suspects, and/or prison inmates.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.