Click to view position locations
JOB TITLE: Landscape Architect or Landscape Planner
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Development Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Development Services
SUMMARY: Responsible for landscape project design, administration of landscape design for private and public development and City landscape and corridor beautification. Duties include but not limited to reviewing development plans, commercial landscape plans, capital improvement plans and landscape irrigation permits and tree removal permits; inspecting compliance with the land development codes relevant to tree preservation and landscaping regulations; and, investigating complaints of alleged violations. Work requires limited supervision and the use of independent judgment and discretion, as well as landscape and graphic design skills for presentations and reports of city projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plans, prepares, and presents urban design projects, including but not limited to corridor plans, urban open space.
- Designs, coordinates and implements the City’s corridor beautification projects, landscape program and urban design projects.
- Meets with irrigators to schedule inspections, installations, and repairs.
- Reviews and comments on site plans for private developments.
- Participates in/on a variety of meetings, committees, task forces, and/or other applicable groups to review engineering and permitting plans, discuss landscape or tree mitigation issues, to provide information and/or technical level expertise regarding horticulture issues, and/or to receive and convey a variety of information.
- Meets with commercial property owners and contractors to review and inspect final landscape and mitigation projects. Verifies projects meet or exceed established standards. Notifies individuals of corrective actions required in order to meet standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of project supervision and basic budgeting principles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of landscape architecture and urban design principles;
- Knowledgeable and skilled at planning and designing solutions for urban design projects;
- Knowledge of landscape maintenance practices and basic landscape construction principles;
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, ordinances, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Skilled in reviewing and providing viable cost estimates for urban design projects;
- Skilled communication in presenting design ideas verbally, visually, and in composition;
- Skilled in reviewing plans for compliance with applicable standards or approved plans or designs.
- Skilled in designing streetscape, urban corridors, or open space and installing landscaping;
- Skilled in prioritizing, organizing, and managing multiple simultaneous projects; completing multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Skilled in defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions;
- Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting circumstances and making decisions where uncertainty in approach, methodology, and interpretation may exist;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications; Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
- Graphic design skills for streetscapes, urban corridors or open space.
- Experience enforcing and updating landscape and urban design regulations
- Strong communication skills, presenting designs ideas verbally, visually and in writing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, Planning, Urban Design, or related field
- Minimum three years related experience.
- Frequent reaching, sitting, standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, talking, seeing, hearing, and manul dexterity.
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Work is typically performed in both standard office and outdoor environments, with potential exposure to adverse weather conditions.
- Work is occasionally performed near moving mechanical parts.
- Occasional exposure to the risk of electrical shock.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.
Pay Rate: $54,842 per year.