Senior Budget & Management Analyst
Click to view position locations
SUMMARY: Responsible for performing fully proficient, professional budgeting and management analysis work such as assisting with the annual budget and multi-year budgeting; assisting with managed competition studies: and, coordinating Performance Management Plan maintenance and reporting. Work requires limited supervision and the use of independent judgment and discretion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in preparing the City’s annual budget and related supporting documentation, which includes: preparing multi-year budget documents; benchmarking tax base data; preparing budget agendas; preparing budget presentations; reviewing departmental budget submissions; participating in departmental and executive team budget reviews; participating in City Council budget work sessions and meetings; preparing and distributing final budget documents; responding to budget inquiries; reviewing budgets on a monthly basis; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Participates in analysis activities associated with managed competition studies, which includes: coordinating select activities with the Managed Competition Director; running detailed cost effectiveness analysis; performing benchmarking; allocating costs for plan development; performing cost or service studies and research; analyzing data; participating in related meetings and presentations to provide recommendations and suggestions to improve performance or reduce expenses.
- Coordinates performance management plan maintenance and reporting, which includes: ensuring timely and accurate submission of plans; preparing key indicator reports for the Executive team; developing performance metrics and indicators; reviewing and updating measures for consistency and applicability; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Performs budget analysis activities, which includes: researching and analyzing operational, fiscal, and other data for applicable processes; conducting interviews and operational observations; developing reports and making recommendations based on findings; reviewing and analyzing departmental performance management plans; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Participates in a variety of special projects in support of departmental operations, which may include: analyzing vendor contracts; performing special studies; providing guidance and recommendations to departments to ensure organizational sustainability and maximize organizational efficiency, effectiveness, and performance; recommending cost-conscious decisions and actions; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Reviews and participates in audits of the City’s purchasing card program, which includes: reviewing monthly statements to ensure compliance with applicable guidelines and policies; auditing selected department’s purchasing history to ensure sound financial practices; auditing travel expense reports for accuracy and compliance with applicable policies; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of government budgeting principles and practices;
- Knowledge of government operations and processes;
- Knowledge of process improvement principles and practices;
- Knowledge of data analysis techniques;
- Knowledge of management principles;
- Knowledge of research and analysis methods;
- Knowledge of strategic planning principles;
- Knowledge of outcome-based management principles;
- Knowledge of program analysis methods;
- Knowledge of purchasing and fiscal policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of auditing principles and practices;
- Skilled in developing performance metrics;
- Skilled in evaluating quality and reviewing final work products;
- Skilled in conducting interviews and investigations;
- Skilled in conducting fiscal audits;
- Skilled in conducting on-site process evaluations;
- Skilled in analyzing, interpreting, and documenting vendor contracts and pricing agreements;
- Skilled in analyzing business processes;
- Skilled in preparing budget documents and analysis;
- Skilled in working with large electronic documents;
- Skilled in reading and interpreting technical documents;
- Skilled in assessing cost efficiency and effectiveness of municipal operations;
- Skilled in conducting benchmark surveys;
- Skilled in conducting best practice research;
- Skilled in analyzing budget data and information;
- Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines;
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, applying, and explaining rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports;
- Skilled in providing customer service;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, General Business Administration, or a related field.
- Two years experience in either budgeting or conducting research.
- Frequent reaching, sitting, talking, seeing, hearing, and manual dexterity.
- Occasional climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Work is typically performed in a standard office environment.
- Work is occasionally performing in an outdoor environment, with potential exposure to adverse weather conditions.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.
PAY RATE: $52,733 Salaried