Managed Competition & Strategic Planning Coordinator
Click to view position locations
SUMMARY: Responsible for performing complex management analysis, research, and project and/or program coordination, development, and implementation in support of the Managed Competition & Strategic Planning program within the City Manager’s Office. Work requires limited supervision and the use of independent judgment and discretion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in and supports the City’s managed competition and strategic planning program, which includes: benchmarking performance and cost measures to competitors in the public and private sectors; reviewing and analyzing departmental budgets and strategic plans submissions; participating in departmental and executive team competition reviews; participating in City Council work sessions and meetings; responding to inquiries related to performance or efficiency needs, challenges, and/or opportunities; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Performs analysis activities related to performance or operational efficiencies, which includes: researching and analyzing operational, fiscal, and other data for applicable processes; conducting benchmarking research and analysis; conducting interviews and on-site operational observations; identifying and executing process improvements that result in measurable increases in value or efficiency; developing reports and making recommendations based on findings; reviewing and analyzing departmental performance management plans; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Coordinates performance management plan maintenance and reporting, which includes: ensuring timely and accurate submission of plans; preparing key indicator reports for the Executive team; developing performance metrics and indicators; reviewing, updating , and analyzing measures for consistency and applicability; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Coordinates and develops the City’s strategic culture program, which includes: empowering and providing opportunities for all levels of staff to drive positive change and provide value; identify strategic resources both internal and external to help others succeed; provide collaborative leadership to promote and encourage innovations or improvements that share resources, explore new ideas, or implement best practices that help employees to always be the best; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Participates in a variety of special projects in support of City Manager and/or City Council initiatives, which may include: analyzing vendor contracts; performing special studies; providing guidance and recommendations to departments to ensure organizational sustainability and maximize organizational efficiency, effectiveness, and performance; recommending cost-conscious decisions and actions; providing the City Manager with accurate and timely information to support decision-making and policy direction; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of local government operations and processes;
- Knowledge of management principles;
- Knowledge of research and analysis methods;
- Skilled in group facilitation and collaborative processes;
- Skilled in building consensus and gaining stakeholder support;
- Skilled in working effectively with a diversity of professionals, from skilled laborers to executives and elected officials;
- Skilled in working with large electronic documents;
- Skilled in reading and interpreting technical documents;
- Skilled in assessing cost efficiency and effectiveness of municipal operations;
- Skilled in conducting benchmark surveys;
- Skilled in conducting best practice research;
- Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines;
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, applying, and explaining rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Skilled in critical thinking and developing recommendations for complex resolutions from many resources and sometimes amid conflicting priorities;
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports;
- Skilled in providing customer service;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in General Business Administration or a related field.
- One year of experience in performance management, project coordination, process analysis, and/or conducting research.
- Master’s Degree
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Frequent sitting, talking, seeing, hearing, and manual dexterity.
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Work is typically performed in a standard office environment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.
PAY RATE: $56,425 Salaried