Click to view position locations
SUMMARY: Responsible for performing complex, professional accounting activities requiring incumbents to be subject matter experts related to assignments. Positions either manage Accounts Payable, capital projects and fixed assets, Payroll and the General Ledger(including revenue collection and accounting),or Financial Reporting. Work requires general direction, working from broad goals and policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises financial services support staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Performs complex accounting activities, which may include: reviewing, researching, and analyzing transactions; tracking and analyzing expenditures; reconciling and analyzing accounts; coordinating accounts payable activities; researching technical accounting issues; compiling and analyzing financial data; tracking and maintaining capital project expenditures and records; monitoring general ledger accounts; reconciling accounts and financial system modules; monitoring fixed and tracking assets; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Researches new GASB Accounting Pronouncements, state and local laws and leads the implementation of changes to financial statements and additional reports as necessary.
- Leads Department wide teams to ensure that appropriate changes are made to the accounting system and City policies to ensure new standards are implemented appropriately.
- Prepares, submits, and reviews a variety of reports, reconciliations, and statements to and from internal departments, financial institutions, and external government agencies.
- Assists in the testing and implementation of City hardware and software applications that interface with financial systems and/or impact revenue collection and expenditure calculations.
- Provides training and advice to customer Departments on best practices related to maintaining financial records and monitoring accounts.
- Calculating, adjusting, preparing, and posting journal entries.
- Participates in conducting and facilitating the completion of financial and/or operational audits.
- Participates in vendor selection and management activities, which includes: soliciting short-term bids from vendors; defining specifications; recommending vendor selection; placing orders from vendors; evaluating the performance of vendors; and processing vendor payments.
- Assists in preparing and implementing accounting related policies and procedures; makes recommendations and/or updates existing accounting policy and procedure manuals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- First-line supervisor over financial services support staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices;
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements;
- Knowledge of asset capitalization standards and depreciation;
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations;
- Knowledge of automated financial management software packages;
- Skilled in prioritizing and evaluating the work of subordinate staff;
- Skilled in analyzing and evaluating complex accounting and/or auditing situations;
- Skilled in reconciling cash and other related accounts;
- Skilled in preparing journal entries;
- Skilled in entering information into databases and/or spreadsheets;
- Skilled in performing mathematical calculations;
- Skilled in recording, analyzing, verifying, reconciling, and reporting accounting transactions;
- Skilled in preparing complex analysis in support of preparing financial statements and reports;
- Skilled in maintaining records;
- Skilled in researching discrepancies;
- Skilled in prioritizing, organizing, and managing multiple simultaneous projects;
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, applying, and explaining rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- Three years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
- Three years of governmental accounting experience.
- Experience in testing impacts of financial software implementations
- Experience in Payroll Tax Law
- Lawson ERP
- Frequent reaching, sitting, talking, seeing, hearing, and manual dexterity.
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Work is typically performed in a standard office environment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check and credit check for employment.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.
Pay Rate: $67,185 ANNUALLY