Senior Civil Engineer
Click to view position locations
SUMMARY: Responsible for performing complex and independent engineering design and construction document production duties related to capital improvement projects. Duties include managing projects through the design and construction phases. Incumbents receive projects and determine how to work out the details. Projects may involve a variety of disciplines and design criteria, and are typically larger in size and scope. Work is performed with general direction, working from broad goals and policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs in-house design, detail, and drafting of capital improvement projects.
- Develops and implements engineering plans in assigned area of responsibility which will be predominantly water/wastewater distribution systems and residential paving.
- Designs, draws, and prepares a variety of engineering plans in assigned area of responsibility.
- Manages large-scale projects, involving multiple disciplines and design criteria, which includes: developing project scopes; managing the design, bidding, and construction phases of projects; participating in the selection of design consultants; reviewing plans; managing construction bidding processes; administering construction contracts; responding to technical project inquiries; managing project budgets; ensuring conformance with project timelines and fiscal constraints; authorizing payments to contractors; administering construction contracts; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Responds to a broad range of requests for information, service, concerns, or complaints from citizens, businesses, government agencies, and/or other interested parties regarding a variety of engineering-related issues.
- Gathers and analyzes data in order to respond to complaints from citizens.
- Makes recommendations for solutions based on research findings.
- Participates in/on a variety of meetings, committees, and/or task forces to provide expert-level technical engineering advice and information based on assigned area of responsibility. Provides expertise by analyzing, reviewing, and critiquing development projects and plans.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for managing all aspects of Capital Improvement Projects from the design phases through to the final acceptance.
- Independent design and plan production of capital infrastructure.
- Reviews paving, drainage, grading, water and sewer, erosion control and plat drawings to ensure that they comply with the City’s general design standards.
- Provides guidance and instruction to lower level engineers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skilled in designing and preparing engineering construction documents;
- Skilled in utilizing AutoCAD, Civil 3D, ArcINFO and/or GIS software applications;
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices;
- Knowledge of construction principles and practices;
- Knowledge of large-scale project management principles;
- Knowledge of contract management principles, including contract preparation, negotiation, and implementation;
- Knowledge of engineering models in assigned area of responsibility;
- Skilled in reading and interpreting a variety of engineering and construction documents;
- Skilled in interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, rules, regulations, and design standards;
- Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness to interpret and apply guidelines;
- Skilled in providing customer service;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Six years of progressive engineering design experience.
- Texas Professional Engineering (PE) License or licensed in another state or ability to obtain Texas PE License within six months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Frequent reaching, sitting, standing, walking, talking, seeing, hearing, and manual dexterity.
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Work is typically performed in a standard office environment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.
PAY RANGE: $94,230 to $100,000 Salaried